Sunday, November 15, 2009

Waffle House Coffee

The Waffle House isn't known for it fine quality food. Nor is it famous for its mood lighting or five star service. Truth be told, i have no idea why it is as popular as it is. If your stomach can handle it, it does have absolutely amazing hashbrowns. And i was raised off of Waffle House Waffles.


However i have no interest in arguing the benefits of ordering "Scattered, Smothered, and Covered" versus regular hashbrowns. Rather, i'd prefer to talk about the Coffee.


To say that Waffle House coffee is an aquired taste would be the understatement of the century. Most people can't take a sip without being sick. No doubt, it is very unlike any other blend i have ever tried. Having previously worked as a barista in a coffee shop, that is coming from a decent amount of experience. However, i'd take a dirty mug of Waffle House coffee over the finest italian blend anyday. I believe it is simply from the memories associated with it. Every weekend i got to spend with my grandfather we woke up at Six in the morning and went to the waffle house. Just for coffee. All the locals and the staff knew us by name, and getting to here about each of their problems as they unloaded their personal life on us really helped me to become the person i am today. As in the movie Ratatouille, where the critic's view on his food was affected by his personal childhood, so is my view of this drink affected by my previous experiences. Maybe being a foodie isn't just about the food, the atmosphere, and the service. I believe a background is necesary to truly appreciate food of any sort.


I'm really pumped about the Waffle House moving in to Tech Square.


2 comments:

  1. Waffle House is a classic! Despite the fact that many consider it as a dirty place to eat, it always has excellent ratings, good service, and unmatchable food:) I am with you I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to eat at Waffle House! I can't wait till it comes to Tech-Square so I can finally try it. Is it that great?

    ReplyDelete