Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Surreal Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is always a truly enjoyable time at my home--usually we have quite a full table of guests, ranging from co-workers to extended family and friends. An average number is around 20, and we buy the biggest turkey we can find. As you can imagine, quite a bit of work goes into preparation--Thanksgiving starts well before Thursday, and I start feeling the "Thanksgiving" excitement days before.

This year was much different. Instead of a large gathering, it was more of a close family gathering--just 12 or so, and a friend of the family cooked the vast majority of the dinner. The last straw was me showing up on Wednesday evening the day before Thanksgiving direct from college--in my mind, I was still at school and it didn't feel much like a normal Thanksgiving.

Was it still amazing? Yes. I had an enjoyable time with my close friends and grandparents. However, it was not at all what I expected.

2 comments:

  1. Thats a bummer. I was fortunate enough to go home tuesday night so it wasn't quite as strange to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing happened to me, too. I got home wednesday night and there was only my family and handful of relatives at this year's thanksgiving for us. It wasn't what I had grown accustomed to.

    ReplyDelete