Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving at my Grandfather's

My thanksgiving this year was smaller than usual. Most of my family could not make it to my grandfather’s house in Dublin, GA this year due to a variety of reasons. Out of my two older sisters the older one and her family came down to celebrate with us, the younger of the two was away on her honeymoon in Jamaica because she had gotten married the weekend before. One of my aunts and uncles showed up with their child. Lastly my parents and my girlfriend were there.

When I drove the three hour trip Friday night I had to bring a big fryer and a tank of propane because my dad always fries the turkey every year. It is awesome! The meat is always juicy and full of flavor. My mom and sister made corn casserole, eggplant casserole, stuffing, macaroni and cheese, rolls, sweet potatoes, and gravy. For dessert we had pumpkin pie, (which I hear pumpkin is really hard to get or something. My aunt told me a lot of the crops rotted. My aunt had to bring some pumpkins with her because they were sold out all over Dublin) pecan pie, birthday cake for my dad since it was on Sunday, ice cream, brownies, and sugar cookies made by my girlfriend and 10 year old niece.

Thanksgiving was still great this year even though our whole family could not be there this year. It’s a great time of the year to talk to everyone in the family because there is only one TV that is always tuned into football games, and no internet.

3 comments:

  1. I had heard that pumpkin was hard to find as well. Over the holiday a friend of the family was over our house and she said that she had to go to several stores before she was able to find any. Fortunately, my grandmother prepares for Thanksgiving weeks in advance so she had a small stockpile of it :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah at my Thanksgiving this year, we had no extended family. Since I am the youngest of all my brothers, it is pretty hard to get the whole family together. It doesnt happen very often but when it does, its really special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed there were fewer family members at Thanksgiving this year for me, too. Sounds like you had a great time. I've never had fried turkey before...i suppose it's similar to fried chicken?

    ReplyDelete