Sunday, November 15, 2009

India divided by food

Indian cuisine is divided just like it's physical features. As far as Indian cuisine is concerned we could go into innumerable categories but we will just stick to 4 major categories - Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western.

North Indian cuisine is distinguished by the proportionally high use of dairy products for baking flat breads like roti and paratha , and kulcha, main courses like tandoori chicken also cook in the tandoor. Other breads like poori and batoora , which are deep fried in oil, are also common. Goat and lamb meats are favored ingredients of many northern Indian recipes.

East Indian cuisine is famous for its desserts , especially sweets such as rassagolla, chumchum, sandesh, rasabali , chenna poda , chenna gaja , chenna jalebee and kheeri . Many of the sweet dishes now popular in Northern India initially originated in the Bengal and Orissa regions. Apart from sweets, East India cuisine offers delights of posta.

South Indian cuisine is distinguished by a greater emphasis on rice as the staple grain, the ubiquity of sambar and rasam , a variety of pickles , and the liberal use of coconut and particularly coconut oil and curry leaves. Curries called Kozhambu are also popular and are typically vegetable stews cooked with spices, tamarind and other ingredients. The dosa, poori , idli , vada, bonda and bajji are typical South Indian favorites.

Western Indian has three major food groups: Gujarati, Maharashtrian and Goan. Maharashtrian cuisine has mainly two sections defined by the geographical sections. The coastal regions, geographically similar to Goa depend more on rice, coconut, and fish. The hilly regions of the Western Ghats and Deccan plateau regions use groundnut in place of coconut and depend more on sorghum and millets as staples.

4 comments:

  1. Your post makes me want to eat some Indian food--what would you recommend for me to try? Have you found any good Indian restaurants around Atlanta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in many countries it is like that because I know in S. Korea there are certain places that are well-known for what they have to offer. I'm with Joshua. I've never had Indian food before. Recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depends on what is the favoured part of your tongue. Which group of taste-buds is prominent - sweet, sour, bitter or salty. If you prefer a wholesome and rich experience I would recommend you go with the North-Indian cuisine. For some one new to Indian food, South-Indian cuisine has more of a novelty factor. Its mainly categorized by weird shapes and sizes, but its worth indulging in. In a way my reply leaves you with the same question since the start - which? i say try out both :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have tried two Indian restaurants in Atlanta so far. One of them is Haveli which I would not recommend to many. The other one is Cafe Bombay on which I wrote my 2nd blog post. I would highly recommend this place to everyone. But it is slightly far from campus even though the food is completely worth the journey. Other than these I have heard of other Indian restaurants such as Chatpati. There is one on campus near west called skewers. I have yet to try it but from what I have heard from my friends it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete