Monday, November 23, 2009

Rule #1: Suprise yourself

I've eaten at Brittain's pasta line a handful of times. However, the first few times I was disappointed--what I got was fairly tasteless. Then, I had an idea.

Imagine being the cook that has to make hundreds of plates of pasta every day. The vast majority of people plain and simple don't have the cooking knowledge to know what spices and sides create the variety of tastes possible, so you're stuck making hundreds of boring dishes. Deep inside, you're yearning to say, "Wait, let me add a touch of this and a bit of that" but your cries are unanswered. If only you could somehow get to express the talent you have for making a great pasta dish with flavor.

This all flashed through my mind as I walked up to the counter.

"What do you want?"
"Add whatever spices or extras you want--make me something good!"

The first time I did this, I got a slightly quizzical look, but walked away with a very tasty dish. The second time, she recognized me and looked forward to making me something unique--this time I specified I wanted Alfredo sauce, and came away with another fabulous dish.

I highly recommend trying this--it's awesome to see their reaction, and they love the challenge. Best of all, you get flavorful food!

5 comments:

  1. I do the same thing! The cook in Woodys recognizes my face everytime I come and she hooks me up. Everytime that she works, I get pasta just so I can be surprised of what spices she will use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to me it doesn't matter whether I choose the items or she makes them, pasta always tastes great. But I will take your advice and try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the suggestion (I'm not being sarcastic). The first time I tried pasta at Woodruff I was disappointed and decided to stick with pasta from the Student Center. I'll give this one a try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never really thought of this o_o but then I fear it'll be inconvenient to others.

    I'll give this a try the next time I am in a dining hall. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is fantastic joshua. i'm sure that they appreciated it too.

    ReplyDelete