Sunday, November 29, 2009

Food During Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was not completely as I expected. There was the fact of a lengthy holiday and four days without any work. But when it came to food, it was a bit of a struggle especially if you stayed back at campus. That's exactly what I did. Most of my friends left campus to visit friends and family in other states such as Florida, Alabama and New York. For them good food wouldn't have been a problem. As for I had to go through most of Thanksgiving without decent food. On Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, we had our last decent meal which was in a restaurant. We visited a restaurant named 'Skewerz' which is located on West campus opposite the Institute of Paper Science and Technology building. We went to this restaurant mainly to taste Indian food. We had visited this restaurant before twice and really liked it so we decided that we had to have food there one last time before it closes for Thanksgiving. It was just five of us who went. As I said most of my friends had left campus and as unbelievable as it sounds, there were approximately only ten people left in my dorm. The decisions regarding the food selection was easy. We ordered 'Paneer Tikka Masala' which is similar to tofu with gravy. Then there was 'Chicken Achari' which was a chicken dish with a spicy and tangy taste. We also ordered bread to have the dishes with. The food was satisfying but it was unfortunate that the restaurant was going to be closed for the next three days. The next three days were really miserable when it came to food. On the first day we had to get some ready made stuff from the gas station as everything from the dining hall to the East side market were closed. In the next two days we just had stuff from the vending machine and made due. On saturday we had had enough and we decided to make a visit to Lennox mall. There were ridiculous sales ranging from fifty to eighty percent. After some shopping we went to Subway. It was nearly four months since I had my last Subway sandwich. It was amazing and really fulfilling. Finally we were not that disappointed at the lack of food. On Sunday the dining hall resumed and I have to admit, I have never missed the dining hall this much.

1 comment:

  1. You are not the first person to say you missed the dining hall over thanksgiving. Maybe I should have stayed her over the break because I keep getting sick of the dining hall food.

    ReplyDelete