Monday, November 9, 2009

My Pumpkin

A couple weeks before Halloween I found a mini pumpkin for about $3 dollars at Walmart. I didn't think twice about buying it because it was festive and cheap. I decided to name him Peter. I sat him down on my desk and it has sat there until about a couple of hours ago. I came in from class, sat down at my desk, and noticed that the pumpkin seemed to be tilting on its side. Obviously I had not been paying much attention to it over the past weeks. I picked it up to see what the problem was and noticed there was a giant cave in type hole on the back side. You could see the rotted insides of dried up pumpkin and seeds, all surrounded by a white moldy fuzz that looked like snow. It was not until I got close to look at the rotted insides of the pumpkin that I realized how bad it smelled. I hope I get over this before that Thanksgiving pumpkin pie!

8 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to how you didn't smell it until you were right up close. Usually when pumpkins rot, they give off a very distinctive smell....

    On a side note, I love the mini pumpkins. They are really fun to carve little faces into :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I remember when I was little, my mom would always let me pick out a small pumpkin. However, I never remember keeping mine long enough for it to rot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had it that long it must of just been at the store awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's nasty! I'm just glad there were no bugs in it. I would have freaked out. R.I.P. Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am very familiar with this experience. I'm on the Freshman Activities Board (FAB) and many of you know we hosted a halloween event a couple weeks ago...anyway we bought about 75 pumpkins and had about 30 left over. We casually stuffed them into our supply closet and we were greeted with the powerful smell of rotting pumpkins the next week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can remember the stench of rotting pumpkin a few days after a pumpkin carving event right outside my residence hall. It definitely was not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Elizabeth as to how you didn't smell the rotting aroma given out by the pumpkin. Generally the rotting smell is really bad and one can come to know about it pretty soon. But in your case I guess it was good for you, as it didn't give out a real bad odor and attract many visitors to your place. :)

    ReplyDelete