Sunday, November 29, 2009

First Fondue

My best friend came home from Dartmouth College for Thanksgiving. I spent the majority of my nights over this break hanging at his house. On Friday night, his parents invited two of my other friends and me over for fondue. I had only had dessert fondue before, so this would be quite an experience.

For those of you who don't know, fondue is a unique form of communal cooking. There are vegetables, different raw meats, and bread. For the bread and vegetables, there is a pot of steaming cheese sauce and everyone can dip their bread or vegetables into this pot. For the meats, fondue pots hold hot oil in which you can use your skewer to stick your meat in until it's cooked to your satisfaction.

There were eight of us and it was one of the most fun times I have ever had eating. People laughed at me for dropping my meat on the floor and overcooking my beef. Fondue is really a social event centered around food. It was an experience I wouldn't mind having more often.

4 comments:

  1. I've had hot oil fondue before. I know another thing to do is heat chocolate up and dip fruit in it. There's a restaurant called The Melting Pot which serves fondue for the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a burned one time by fondu. be careful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of fondue before. But after reading your blog post, I was very curious and could not stop looking over for it online. I am going to feast upon this delicacy this Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I've never had any kind of fondue before, but I'm definitely curious now.

    ReplyDelete