Thursday, November 26, 2009

Put Your Foot in It

This Thanksgiving, I experienced something which reminded me of In Defense of Food. On Wednesday night, my parents, my sister, and I went to my Aunt's house to have Thanksgiving dinner with my mom's side of the family. My mom bought a sweet potato pie, my favorite dish of the season. After dinner, I cut a huge piece of that pie and gobbled it down right in front of the TV.
On Thanksgiving day, we headed to my great aunt's house for dinner. She had made a sweet potato pie from scratch. I cut myself a small piece. When I tasted it, I was blown away! As my relatives would say, "She really put her foot in it!"(This means she probably was careful and meticulous about making something this tasty) It tasted so much better! It was smoother and sweeter than the pie from the day before. It even had a hint of cinnamon on the bottom of the crust. My great aunt gave me a whole pie to take home.
I wrote about this in my first blogpost this year, but now I know it's true. Processed pies can't hold a candle to any pie a person took the time to make by hand. There's always something special about that.

5 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a dish from a restaurant near my hometown called Popeye noodles. It simply does not compare to instant Ramen due to a particular soy sauce base.

    Nothing beats the originals, the authentic things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heartily agree--my mother's pumpkin pie is absolutely amazing. Combined with vanilla ice cream, it is by far my most anticipated meal during Thanksgiving.

    Lucky you--getting a whole pie to take home! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that home made food taste better. My aunt makes sour dough bread and it taste 1000 times better than the store bought stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, too. Preserved, store bought food just can't compare to the freshness of homemade food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This a great example of why we all need to learn to cook. It's better. Even Alton Brown had it right.

    ReplyDelete