Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The smaller pleasures of the dining hall

We are almost at the end of the semester and up till now there have been innumerable complaints about the dining hall food. The food at the buffet is hardly praise worthy. The other sections such as the omlette bar and the pasta bar are relatively better. The custom grill is not bad. But let's take a look at some food items other than the main food. I am talking about things such as chocolate milk, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream etc. I have noticed that many people visit the dining hall only for chocolate milk. I eagerly wait for the day they have chocolate chip cookies and always carry a bunch with me back to my room. Then there is the bread section with an assortment of toppings such as jam, cheese, butter, peanut butter etc. The toasts taste really good. In the salad bar, you can conjure up a salad dish with all the different vegetables to from. It was not until late September when I noticed that the dining hall had soup and it tastes decent enough. On both sides of the dining hall there are many types of cereals. In the drinks section they have a large variety of drinks to choose from whether hot or cold. They now have a new juice section beside the coffee area. I am not sure what is but it looks promising. Basically there are a lot of stuff in the dining hall to look forward to than the main food.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to go ahead and complain once more about the dining hall: Birthday Thursday disappoint me. The first Birthday Thursday (third Thursday of every month) was great - the best food was out and the best ice cream was for all to enjoy. The last consecutive ones have been terrible though: normal food and bad ice cream.

    But anyway, I haven't tried to soup (I am not a soup fan). I have seen some of the new drinks and I will definitely need to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sayan I really admired this post. I know we keep cribbing about the food served at both the dining halls overlooking these great smaller pleasures served in here. But I would also like to say that these small pleasures cannot give you pleasure of a complete meal. So though they are perfect and the best to be looked out at these dining halls, they aren't satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are absolutely right. Sometimes I don't go to the dinning hall for a main course but for dessert. I love their brownies and assortement of cakes and my favorite are the banana nut muffins, I have one every weekday after my bowl of cereal. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the dinning hall does have a few small pleasures, like the desserts and the still surprisingly large drink selection, but its not quite enough to make up for the redundancy.

    ReplyDelete