Sunday, November 29, 2009

The First Thanksgiving

Since being at Tech, I have made friends with many new friends, most of whom are not from the United States. One of my friends didn't have a place to go over break, so in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I invited him to spend the holiday with my family. My friend is from England so many of the foods my family enjoy for Thanksgiving are not too common to him. But as far as I can tell he enjoyed all the food that my mom and grandma cooked up. Though there was one thing that my friend found a problem with, Sweet Tea. He took one sip and could do no more. It seemed weird that someone has never had a Thanksgiving, but then I came to the realization that it was an American Holiday. I hope my friend enjoys his Thanksgivings to come

4 comments:

  1. I had lunch with my old boss over break, and he was telling me how he experienced the exact opposite. He was born and raised in the U.S., but he took a job in Sweden a couple years after graduating from college. He was saying how it always felt awkward going to work on Thankgiving or the Fourth of July just like it was any other day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had dinner over my relatives place, though I would say I did not like all what they had cooked but yet it was great fun. We played several games and also watched movies. It was a lot of fun on the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is interesting- it seems weird to me too that not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving. I wonder if there is a European holiday similar to Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete