Sunday, November 29, 2009

Food, Food, and... wait for it... More Food

Thanksgiving is the major holiday for my Dad's side of the family. All of my aunts, uncles, and cousins come from wherever they are working or studying to my grandmothers house (which is next door to my house) for the weekend. This year we are up to 20.

The holiday started on Tuesday evening when everyone started to arrive. On Wednesday my grandmother ("Sito" in Lebanese, pronounced "sit-too") made the traditional Lebanese dishes kibbi, khoubiz, and stuffed grapeleaves (see my post for more details).

On Thursday we ate around 1 o'clock and had a ridiculous amount of food. Aside from the Lebanese dishes listed above (we had them again) we had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, several vegetable dishes, two salads, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and blackberry pie (with hand-picked blackberries just for you, Michael Pollan).

On Friday we celebrated my Sito's 80th birthday which is coming up in January. We celebrate this at Thanksgiving every year because it's the only time everyone is home. After a dinner of stuffed cabbage and another round of kibbi (we inhale this stuff), we had an ice cream cake from Bruster's. For those of you who don't know, Bruster's is an ice cream place that actually started near my home town and they have the best ice cream. When you order a cake you can pick any ice cream to put in it, and we got half vanilla turtle, half chocolate turtle. It was to die for.

On Saturday, now that everyone was tired of cooking, we decided to hit up some local restaurants. Lunch was at the Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe, a place similar to The Varsity, but about a thousand times better. Dinner was at my uncle's restaurant which serves wings and sandwiches kind of like Primanti Brothers, but not exactly.

I probably gained 5 or 10 pounds, but it was worth it. And more importantly, I was able to my relatives that I hadn't seen since last Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment