Thursday, November 12, 2009

How Sublime Can Doughnuts Be?

The answer? Very sublime, especially on a miserable, rainy day.

Adrian posted on the E3 Foodies blog about Sublime Doughnuts--a little doughnut shop right on the North side of campus (10th and Hemphill) specializing in gourmet doughnuts. I'd been meaning to check it out, and as luck would have it, an old friend of mine from college, now getting an MD-PhD at Emory, was free that afternoon and equally drooling over the prospect of said doughnuts. Since coming to Atlanta, I've sampled the wares of Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts, but had yet to sample these gourmet delights which had gotten such rave reviews from Adrian and the denizens of Yelp!

First of all, a little bit of background. I *heart* doughnuts. Possibly more than I *heart* pop-tarts. During the six years of my childhood I spent in Indonesia (the other eight were spent in Singapore), Dunkin' Donuts came to town, and were wildly popular. My father would take my brother and me to the Dunkin' Donuts in the mall as a special treat. Dunkin' Donuts in Indonesia is far more upscale than the ones in America, and even though the doughnuts are "cheap" if one is thinking in terms of American salary and dollars, the doughnuts are far too expensive for the average working Joe in Indonesia to eat everyday. Doughnuts are gourmet there, and the customers of Dunkin' Donuts are treated accordingly. You select your doughnut, an obsequious and smiling staff-member gently uses tongs to transfer your selection onto a ceramic plate, and then hands it to you on a tray complete with a metal fork, knife, and napkin.

My family then moved to Singapore, where doughnuts remained conspicuously absent from the food-scene...until four or five years ago. Summer break meant I could take a break from working on my dissertation for my Ph.D. in California by working on my dissertation back home in Singapore. And I discovered that doughnuts had become THE "in" thing. Asian doughnut companies such as J.Co Donuts, Donut Factory, and Donut Empire had flooded the market with tasty, fluffy wares far, far, FAR cuter than their American counterparts, which seemed positively sloppy by comparison. The Donut Factory near my house became my hangout: free wireless, pretty good coffee, clean art-deco decor, jazzy music, friendly waitstaff, and a glass-case displaying a dazzlingly colorful array of gourmet doughnuts.

Back to the present, to Atlanta, and to Sublime Doughnuts:

Despite the ultra-hipster feel of their website, the actual bakery itself has a surprisingly un-hipster feel to it: functional, somewhat comfortable (if you can snag a spot on one of the big black couches). And perhaps it's because the doughnuts seem a little out of place that their taste and appearance come as such a pleasant surprise. My friend and I split a s'more doughnut and a chocolate-berry fritter. The dough was moist despite the fact that it was so late in the day, and they were subtly sweet and suitably fluffy. There were a few I'd like to go back to try at some point in the future: a strawberries-and-cream doughnut made with fresh strawberries; a creme-filled chocolate glazed doughnut in the shape of an "A"; an orange-glazed creme-filled doughnut shaped like a star.

I highly recommend! Sublime Doughnuts is within walking distance of campus and gives student discounts!

8 comments:

  1. Yum... I really want to try this. Doughnuts are probably one of my favorite foods.

    Today, some organization was selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts by the stadium. I haven't been feeling well, so a couple glazed doughnuts was the perfect way to start my day. If only they had some orange juice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know there were such things as gourmet doughnuts. The strawberries and creme sounds like one I would really enjoy. Does this shop sell regular doughnuts also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost all of their doughnuts seem to have some sort of gourmet-ish twist to them: the A-Town Cream doughnut is basically a Boston Cream Pie doughnut in the shape of an A, and the Powder Raspberry doughnut is essentially a jelly doughnut in the shape of a heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberries and creme does sound good as well as the other ones. (Just mentioning strawberries first due to being an avid fan of strawberries)

    The doughnuts definitely sound but I'm curious as to how much one is? Also, any idea how much sugar is in one, namely the strawberry ones? (Need to decrease my sugar due to awesome dental calamities. >_< Got to hate the Western diet! :P )

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to Kelsey's questions:

    About a dollar per doughnut...on par with Dunkin' and Krispy Kreme.

    Also...Asians really love white rice, noodles, fluffy bread, and other refined starch products which Pollan condemns as peculiarly Western. I wish he'd taken modern Asian eating habits into account as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this sounds super. how exaclty would i walk to this place?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have read Pollan mentioning noodles but in regards to rice, I was slightly annoyed how he gave an entire European view. He has only cited one statistic referring to Asians (Japanese to be precise) but aside from that, it has mostly been statistics and information from the Western World (Europe and America).

    As for getting there, all I can figure from google is that it's on tenth street a little ways passed Lucky Budda... so closer to west campus and requires going across Hemphill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The other day my roommate (who is from Thailand) was telling me how different a restaurant (the same restaurant) is in Thailand compared to America. A restaurant that has a bad image in America (for example a fast food place) can have an entirely different image in another country. It actually surprised me how differently companies showed themselves elsewhere

    ReplyDelete