Monday, October 19, 2009

Effects of Surgery

Two years ago I had to have a portion of my small intestine removed due to the presence of cancerous polyps. Prior to the surgical procedure I was forbidden to eat for 12 hours. Those were a very long 12 hours I can assure you! Little did I know that after the surgery I would have a period of one week to a maximum of two weeks where I could only consume liquids and jello. After the surgery I was in so much abdomen pain that the thought of food was at best repulsive. I drank liquids and ate a little jello for about two weeks. By the end of the two weeks I was building up to eating crackers and pieces of bread. The next weekend my family and I went out to dinner at Longhorns Steakhouse. This is one of my favorite restaurants but even though I had not eaten real food in a roughly 14 day span, by the time I came around to eating meals, my stomach had developed a condition to eating minimal amounts of food and I could barely eat half my steak. I am ashamed of myself to this day. ;) It is amazing though how, if anybody has ever been in a similar situation as this you will understand, how your stomach really is incapable of holding large amounts of food. I thought for sure I would have been able to eat a cow! But this was far from being true.






1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. After I got my wisdom teeth out and couldn't eat for two weeks, I basically couldn't eat more than a few bites of anything. It was awful because I really like to eat! I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete