Monday, October 12, 2009

Blue, Red, Green, or Yellow?

Every other year for Thanksgiving my family visits the other side of the family. For instance, last year, my mom, dad, sister, and I went to Marietta to spend Thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family. This Thanksgiving, we will go to Macon to spend the holiday with my mom's family. No matter where we go for Thanksgiving, the food is always wonderful and we eat way too much, yet each side of the family eats different types of foods. My dad's side of the family is from the North. Thus, there are a lot of Southern foods that they do not eat, such as most types of beans and vegetables, such as collard greens and sweet potatoes. The main difference between the foods, one that I noticed from a very early age, was that whenever we went to Marietta, our mashed potatoes were always a different color.

We used to be told that Grandma J's., my dad's mom's, potatoes were magical and that was why they were always different colors. Now we know the truth that she puts food dye in them when she mashes the potatoes. Every year she changes the color. Last year they were green, and the year before that red. I would say we are due for a batch of magical blue or yellow potatoes!

3 comments:

  1. That seems like an odd thing to do to potatoes, but I can imagine for the children of the family it is quite exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) At least there will always be something different in Thanksgiving for you. Is there a pattern as to what color she uses for the following years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really. She just typically does whatever she feels like the day of. food dyes have even been blended before! One time she made a purple and another time it came out brown which made them very difficult to eat as you can imagine why:)

    ReplyDelete