Thursday, October 8, 2009

Im "not" Lovin' It

The convenience is unrivaled, located amongst what seems to be every main road from all parts of the world.  The sheer accessibility is mind boggling, no matter what country I am in there is something on the menu that I am familiar with.  I pulled up to the restaurant and found an abundance of parking spaces; I even got one front row!

The building had a very colorful architecture, as if designed to make me smile.  The restaurant was one story, decorated with bright reds and yellows.  There was even a portion dedicated to children and a servicing area for patrons who are in a rush; it was able to service everyone’s needs!  Upon entering I was greeted with a baffling wait line.  Even if I had reservations at any other restaurant in town, this wait length couldn't be matched; it was extremely short and moved very quickly!  The line, as well as time, seemed to melt away while my eyes grew larger and filled with lust for every delicious looking meal.  There were so many choices and combinations on the menu I knew it would be hard to decide!

While drooled amongst the menu, I noticed from the corner of my eye the section dedicated to children.  It was full of excitement and smiles.  The children were playing together on slides, in ball pits, and through a very colorful and elaborate jungle gym!  The children, however, were quite heavy looking; hopefully the healthy looking food could improve their diet!  Despite their rather large physique and hindered movement due to excess body fat, the children seemed very happy, very loud, and very playful.  I now could only wonder to myself where I would be seated, they couldn't possibly expect me to sit next to a children's play palace. 

I approached the end of the line where a charming Mexican girl greeted me with a smile.  She couldn't have been much older than 18 but her tattoos and piercings hinted otherwise; yet despite this I couldn't wait any longer and was finally ready to order.  I gave her the spiel, ignoring the phrase “Your eyes are bigger than your stomach”, and ordered like crazy.  I added every option possible to my entre and had almost all sides included!  Charbroiled Angus Beef topped with lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes between two freshly baked buns coupled with a side of hand sliced Idaho potato fries salted to perfection and finished off with a slice of “Like Grandmas” home baked apple pie.  I’m lovin’ it!

My food seemed to arrive faster than I could order; it was all thrown on a plastic tray in no particular order looking like no care in the world was taken; this was not what I was expecting.  I took my tray of paper wrapped food, spilling over the edge sides, and carbonated beverage with me and went to find a seat.  I searched far and wide, almost every table I encountered had some sort of flaw: broken chair, trash left behind, flies buzzing in circles, or uninviting looking patrons sitting close by grotesquely devouring there meal.

I had finally found a table that somewhat suited my standards yet I was still greeted by ketchup residue and scattered salt; yet that was nothing compared to the little girl who ran by me crying and whining all while picking her nose, scratching her butt, and finding a way to touch everything she saw.  And yes, you guessed it; I was next to the children's play palace.  All I could think now was “At least I have my food”.

I quickly unwrapped my entre to find a greasy hamburger thrown together with a mess of lettuce, two old pickle slices, a sickly looking tomato slice, and a thin mystery meet patty; not even sure it was beef, let alone charbroiled or angus.  I unwillingly sank my teeth in and took my first bite; chew, chew, chew, swallow.  I felt nauseous.  This was the worst hamburger I have ever had in my life; every one of my taste buds heeded me warning to never take another bite.  Not even a few gulps of Coca-Cola could rinse the horrid taste from my mouth.  But I can't judge any eatery just on one entre, so I attempted to choke down a few thin sticks of salty grease; the included “hand sliced Idaho potato French fries”.  I turned into a coward after that, I could not muster the courage to try my undercooked apple pie. 

I suddenly got an urge to use the bathroom; I stood up and felt chunks of grease and fat roll down my intestine track, the so called food was not settling well!  I rushed to the bathroom and found amenities rivaling that of a construction site Port-O-Potty; only the blind without capabilities of smell could use this bathroom.  The floor was home to pests, the rusting yellowed sink was clogged, and the toilet was so horrid that not even the dirtiest diction could provide enough incite for you to get the proper mental image of it.  I immediately left, not to go back to my table, but to leave this gross, appalling, probably disease infested excuse for a food establishment.

I rushed out the door, never to turn back.  I arrived at my car just in time to stop an overweight woman from slamming her 1983 Oldsmobile door into my car; it's a great thing I parked front row and got there quick.  I proceeded to start my car as fast as possible and took the beeline right out the back entrance then down the road as fast as possible.  I still needed to find a bathroom to deposit the pitiful excuse for food I was fed.



McDonald's

 

McDonald's was awarded 1 star because of convenience.  The myriad of locations and ease of accessibility was a real plus when on the go and needing a quick bite.  The service was quick and prices were moderate.  The centralized idea of fast food is a wonderful concept yet it's clear some franchises are better than others.  The downfall of McDonald's was the food quality, facility cleanliness, and overall experience.  The food quality was very poor and had a high concentration of fat and carbohydrates.  The facility cleanliness was also very poor; the establishment I visited would not have passed a health examination at the time of my review.  This all greatly affected the overall experience, which was very poor.  I felt the money paid did not suffice for the low quality food and atmosphere presented to me.  I would not suggest fast food to anyone, but if it is a necessity, then I highly recommend trying a different franchise.

- Giovanni Mannella

1 comment: