Sunday, October 18, 2009

FYI - Sad News

Hello Foodies,

I have some serious food-related news that some of you may already be aware of. In December, Georgia Tech will start demolition of Wing Nuts, Quiznos, and East Side Market, to start the construction of a new dining hall for North Avenue Apartments. I, along with many others, am very upset by this for multiple reasons. 1) Wingnuts is a private enterprise that employs college students and provides competition for GT dining. They also provide a service that no other GT food establishment does, late-night access and delivery. Everyone loves eating wings at 2 am. 2) What is the point of the North Avenue dining hall? How many second-year and older students do you really think are going to use it? Not to mention the fact that if they really did want to have a meal plan and use the dining hall, BRITTAIN IS LITERALLY HALF A BLOCK AWAY. Do they really need one right on their property? 3) East Side Market serves a convenience store for students, which is very necessary. Does GT really want its students crossing I85 to get to BP just to buy toilet paper? I don’t think so…

I just really don’t see the point of this new establishment, and I am very sad to see beloved Wingnuts disappear. So, everyone should eat all the wings they can until December, and definitely sign the SGA petition to relocate Wingnuts near campus!!

7 comments:

  1. How would I go about signing this petition? After living right in front of Wingnuts, East-Side Market, and Quizno's for about a month or two, all three of those have grown on me. My life would be incomplete without seeing the three everyday. I have already had many memories in the past month at those three places and I want to make more. Let's save our campus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really see the point in an extra dining hall, but then again I don't eat at Brittain regularly enough to know. However, (and I am not entirely familiar with this), if Wingnut's and others can be relocated or moved by Tech', then ultimately it seems that Wingnut's and others are guests of the GA tech community, meaning if Tech wanted a balloon store there, it can get a balloon store there. While not a direct and accurate comparison, change is not always bad. I don't see why people care so much about the dry fountain by the library either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I just do nto know why they would not just remodel Brittain. If they do renovate Brttain it might cause some logistical issues for a coupel months but the ends definitely justify the means. I have ordered wingnuts many times around 1:00 a.m. and I must say there is nothing better than those wings in the wee hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I read somewhere that the new dining hall is suppose to offer "fresher" food because they have limited space for a kitchen and prep area. If that is true, I highly doubt that it will last long. On a different note, the BP that we will be forced to go to is super sketch. Definitely not a safe alternative

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Wingnuts occasionally, but I really don't think it's a big deal that they're tearing it down. A new dining hall would be cool and if it were actually better than Brittain, maybe some upperclassmen WOULD eat there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a complete waste of money. It is nice for students to be able to get food not made by Georgia Tech. Wingnuts brings a specific variety of food that the dining hall would not be able to offer. It is a break from dining hall food. Wingnuts also receives most of its business late at night, a service that a dining hall will not provide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to Wingnuts last week and really didn't see much benefit in it staying. Maybe it's just me, but free is always better than paying, and you really don't get that much for your money at Wingnuts. In relation to the convenience store, I could possibly see that as an issue, but I haven't really needed one yet.

    ReplyDelete