Wednesday, October 14, 2009

freshmen 15


Rumor has it that most freshmen will gain 15 pounds after entering college. After living on campus for awhile I can definitely see the reason why. First of all, dining halls are pretty much an all you can eat buffet where one gorges himself/herself until she is full. Technically, one is only supposed to eat until he/she is about 80% full. At dining halls, controlling your eating habits is quite impossible, especially with these dining halls serving french fries and burgers and having varieties of sugar-filled drinks. The unlimited meal plan at Georgia Tech does not help at all either, this allows one to continually go back to halls and get more food. Other colleges, like UGA, have a 24/7 food service. It's no wonder why freshmen gain 15 pounds upon entering college. I on the other hand have avoided this, and I am quite proud of myself. I attend Taekwondo classes three times a week and workout twice a week. On top of that I make sure I eat a salad twice a day and drink only juices and occasionally drink sodas. I avoid burgers and tend to go for other lines in the dining halls. I have actually lost weight upon entering college, but enough about me, how do you guys avoid the freshmen 15?

picture from: http://collegejolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/iehow.jpg

10 comments:

  1. I don't actively avoid freshman 15 as I usually tackle the pizza and Arctic Blast drinks. However, I have not gained weight but instead lost weight according to my parents every so often I get to see them. I can only think of two reasons why this is so, especially when I have not exercised in ages (I know pretty bad x.x): lots of walking due to living on west campus when everything is pretty much on east and extreme laziness.

    Either by luck or some mystical, unexplainable force, almost all my friends are on East Campus, which leads me to taking long walks from West to East Campus. Sure there is the bus but after a few days, it's quick to notice that it's faster to walk almost anywhere as opposed to the bus especially when heading to Skiles or the library.

    In regards to laziness... I sometimes skip breakfast or lunch due to preferring to sleep more or homework/studying in between classes.

    You have my utmost respect for your efforts in exercising (Taekwondo! So wanted to do that this semester but boo... chem labs) and avoiding the food entrees guaranteed to increase a person's weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also keep very active throughout the week, but honestly, I don't see how one could gain a lot of weight because not only is the food in the dining hall not that good so I would not think anyone could sit there and just eat plate after plate, but we walk everywhere. I would think that as long as you are mildly active and don't pig out on the good stuff we have in our dorms, we will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited the doctor the other day for my sniffles. I've kept the same weight for awhile, so far the dining hall has not affected me. Living on West, I do a good bit of walking and I always drink water at the dining hall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, just walking everywhere is a great basic form of daily exercise. I also don't get three full meals a day just because sometimes there isn't enough time to go to the dining hall (like skipping breakfast in the morning).
    The CRC is great- it makes exercising fun. I don't normally get time to watch television, but with the personalized tvs on the exercise machines, I can relax and work out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of us who live at the bottom of "freshmen" hill on the third floor of a residence hall, the freshmen fifteen is not fat but muscle. We do a lot of climbing and walking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my first two weeks here I actually lost 5 or 6 pounds, since then, I have gained a bit back, but certainly not 15 pounds. I wish that they had more drink options in the dining hall. Pretty much everything there is laden with sugar, except the water of course. I personally love juice, and I think it would be fantastic if they could get some 100% juice drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea I agree. Juices are my favorite and I ahve actually lost weight too. But Josh don't get too confident with your weight! It is very early on to say that you are not affected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Rebekah's first comment. The food at the dining hall is not great at all. I mean sure the first week, it seemed like the best thing on earth. Unlimited burgers and fries! But now almost halfway through the semester, it's gotten old. At first the burgers and fries were all I ate. Now I usually go for the somewhat "healthier" line of entrees. I checked my weight the other day at the gym, and surprisingly I was about the same as the first week of school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally see where its likely to gain those 15 pounds. Every time I go to the dining hall I tend to eat a little too much, but at least we have a great rec center. As long as I can keep up at the gym, the weight shouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a high metabolism. I can eat ANYTHING I WANT. And AS MUCH AS I WANT. And i wont gain weight. Epic win 4 Me.

    ReplyDelete