Saturday, September 12, 2009

Surprise Dinner

My best friend from high school, Anna, and I had not seen each other since summer. It's only been about a month, but we really missed each other! After all, we're best friends. 

I fell asleep after my last class this afternoon, and woke up to a plethora of missed calls from Anna. I immediately called her back. As soon as she answered she yelled, "I'm in Atlanta! And I'm coming to pick you up RIGHT NOW!" I have never been so excited! I threw on some clothes and ran out to the curb, where Anna picked me up. 

We decided to go to the Vortex for dinner, a burger joint in Little Five Points that serves amazing hamburgers. We talked non-stop the whole way there, all during dinner, and the whole ride back to my dorm. I had forgotten how amazing it felt to be with my best friend. The food was fantastic! The burger was perfectly seasoned and cooked medium- just how I like it. The fries were alright, but definitely not as good as the burger. However, the best part, by far, was seeing my favorite person. 

Sometimes college can be hard, especially because I do not have my car here. I can't just run out and grab some Chick-fil-A or drive to Taco Mac anymore. Also, I feel a little lonely from time to time when I have to eat alone, which does not occur often, but still happens. I missed getting to eat with all my best friends, especially Anna. Since Anna was home from GC&SU in Milledgeville, she had her car and could pick me up, just like in high school. It felt like we stepped back in time- riding, just the two of us,  talking about everything imaginable, and eating together.

Tonight was a perfect surprise dinner! (I fully recommend the Vortex too!)

4 comments:

  1. I actually had an experience with a friend eerily similar to yours in enough way to be..well..eerie. Last year (when I was still living in California), I visited Atlanta, called my old college-friend Anna up who was really excited to meet up with me, and we went to the Vortext in Little Five Points.

    Glad you had a great time! It's wonderful meeting up with old friends. Also, the burgers at Vortex are imaginative and amazing...I think I had the Elvis burger which involved bananas and peanut butter and beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut butter and beef? That is quite an interesting combination.

    Griffin, your post is making me want to try a Vortex hamburger right now! (Even though I just ate at Woody's. But I can't say I'm satisfied- food quality at Woodruff drops after 9 p.m.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww that is so nice! I miss my bestfriend so so much and I would love to have a surprise like you did anyday! Where exactly is Vortex? I am from Baltimore, so I have no idea where anything is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's two locations- one in midtown and one in Little 5. The midtown one is between 7th and 8th Street where Peachtree Street meets the two. We should do a class trip... :)

    ReplyDelete