Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Whole Foods, A Whole New World

Being a college student and a fastidious eater, the selection of food at Brittain Dining Hall does not appeal to me. This disatisfaction led to me eating at least one hamburger a day for the first two weeks of school. In these most recent weeks, I've been eating anything I can find, but I am never happy with what ends up on my plate. Whatever it is, it is never healthy. My mother would kill me if she knew that I've had one piece of fruit in the past five weeks. This past Sunday, I decided something would have to change.

I only live about thirty minutes away from Tech, so I asked my mom to come pick me up so we could take a trip to Whole Foods. Whole Foods Market sells natural and organic foods, catering to a more healthy lifestyle. When I picked up my green basket to start shopping, I was overwhelmed. There were so many healthy choices!

Deciding that I'll be a vegetarian this week, I began looking for new foods to aid in stockpiling my dorm room. I walked around for forty-five minutes without putting anything into my green plastic basket. My sister was antsy to go home and she was not pleased with my slow progress. My mom, a little irritated too, found a nearby employee and asked him to help me in my attempt at vegetarianism.

The main pointed me toward mock pigs in a blanket, veggie breakfast sausage, and so much imitation meat that I still could not even begin to make a decision. Then I realized what my problem was. Maybe I did not need to replace the meat in my diet. I should try something new altogether! I ended up buying some organic fruit and corn. I also bought two potato and pea samosas, which came with chutney, the special East Indian sauce.

For the next few days, I'll be sampling new flavors and tastes, in an effort to expand my options. Who knows? Maybe next weekend will bring a trip to the Farmer's Market for some gluten free bagels!

1 comment:

  1. My mom loves shopping for groceries at Whole Foods Market so i've been there many times, too. The food there is a bit pricey, but is a healthy organic alternative to many of the foods you may obtain elsewhere at other grocery stores. Have you ever eaten at the fish grill there? The fish they serve are among the best I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete