Friday, September 25, 2009

Anybody want to go to Wingnuts?

Spending more of my conscious hours outside of my dorm than in it, usually lounging around in the quad or on techwood outside of Bobby Dodd, it's a call i hear often. Usually in the hours past ten. And for the beginning of the school year it was a call i ignored. Who would want to go to a greasy wing place at eleven at night? Unless you were simply starving, which i never was. But one night i decided that i could do with a little food, and decided to go with a troop of people who were making their pilgrimage. That night i realized that for some people, the trip to Wingnuts wasn't so much a trip to a place for a midnight snack, but a journey to meet new people and be rewarded with delicious wings for it. I still remember the names of everyone on that initial trip to Wingnuts, which is really saying something. And to this day I have met more GT students going to, being at, or coming back from Wingnuts than i have through any other activity. Maybe it's the late hours? When you're tired, everything gets a little funnier, a little easier to relate to. Maybe it's the food? I've not tasted better boneless, and the prices encourage sharing. It could also simply be the shared purpose, a group of strangers going to the same place to do the same thing. Regardless, it's a great way to meet new people and walk around some before going to bed. So the next time you hear the call, "Anybody want to go to Wingnuts?", even if it is from complete strangers, answer "yes!"

I just got back. Chipotle Ranch I'm thinking is the best i've tried so far. Anyone else have a favorite?

7 comments:

  1. You are so right! I've met lots of people at Wingnuts! It's the best thing to do when you're not sleeping late at night. People go there to hang out and it's a happy place to be.
    I've never tried chipotle ranch, but I love their Asian Teriyaki wings! The hot lemon pepper wings were also great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only tried a few flavors, but so far my favorite is Honey BBQ.

    I read in the Technique that Wingnuts is closing after this semester. They're putting in a new dining hall where Wingnuts, Quizno's, and East Side Market are... I'm pretty upset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I have heard about people going to Wingnuts for a midnight meal or rather a midnight adventure. I have received many offers to go to wingnuts but resisted for some reason or the other. Maybe I should take your advice and give it a try. Sounds like a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite flavors are hot and lemon pepper. Their boneless wings are great as well. I would go to Wingnuts more often if it were closer to west campus as it is quite a trek over to that part of east campus from where I live. Nonetheless, Wingnuts is a great place to eat and hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't even gotten to try wingnuts yet, and today i hear that they are going to close it down this winter to put in a new dining hall. I don't think they should take it out, but i guess i will have to go try it before they do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only tried the lemon pepper, and I wasn't too happy with it. The flavor was a little sour for me.

    I must admit though, the prices are very attractive. $11 for a combo including fries, 2 drinks, and a pound and a half of wings (on wednesdays) is a pretty sweet deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been the type to go late to eat, other than when the hall is going to Brittan right before closing to pick up some ice cream. However, this sounds like it's a good idea--with food as a sort of catalyst to help start friendships.

    I am sad to hear that Wingnuts is being shut down! I'll have to go before it closes.

    ReplyDelete