Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blog Post #1: An Unforgettable Meal

Every summer, my family takes a vacation to the beach. It was July 3rd, 2006, when we packed all of our gear and headed down to Destin, Florida from our home here in Atlanta. After four hours, we arrived at the white, sandy beaches of Destin. I can distinctly remember the salty, humid air that hit me as soon as I got out of the car. All of my senses confirmed that I was once again at a place of relaxation that I had grown so accustomed to experiencing every year. Yet, this year I was about to experience new sensations through an unforgettable meal.

There are some experiences that can be vividly remembered simply by closing one’s eyes and letting the senses recall every detail. Such is the case with my first dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. It was July 4th and my family was spent after an exhausting day on the beach when my father decided to take us out to the nicest steak dinner we could find in the area. A quick Internet search determined we would not find a better restaurant for our desires than Ruth’s Chris.

We drove up to the chophouse and were instantly greeted by the valet attendants who proceeded to park our car for us. Upon entering the romantically dim lit restaurant, we sat down on plush sofas while we waited to be seated. There was a giant, elaborate showcase of wine bottles in the center of the place that towered over any other structure in the building. When our table was ready, the hostess called our name and we were directed to a round table lit with candles and decorated with expensive silverware in the back of the restaurant.

Our waiter arrived in a timely fashion after the hostess had welcomed and seated us. After our drinks had arrived, he thoroughly explained the specials and items listed on the menus, all of which sounded delicious. After mulling over the menu for quite some time, I ordered the filet steak with broiled tomatoes and mashed potatoes as sides. After we had ordered, my family talked excitedly about our day and the upcoming fireworks show.

We waited for what seemed like an eternity for our food. Patience is much more difficult to exercise when one is hungry and tired. While we waited, I observed the other customers who were dining at the restaurant at the time. There were a variety of people ranging from families to couples to the elderly. Obviously, this restaurant catered to all ages. Finally, our waiter brought our dinner out to us on heated plates. After our waiter left, I began one of the most scrumptious meals I have ever eaten.

A Ruth's Chris Steak House filet and side of asparagus.” Photograph from venturacountystar.com. http://www.venturacountystar.com/photos/2007/dec/12/25473/ (Accessed September 3, 2009)

To begin with, the steak I ordered was plump and extremely tender with a soft pink center, just as I had ordered it. It was garnished with fancy herbs and seasoned very lightly. The plate was very limited in it’s decorations for such an expensive restaurant and it was as if the beauty were in the steak itself. One of the first things I noticed was an aroma that the steak gave off that had me salivating as I had never done before. As I took my knife and cut into the filet, the steak parted effortlessly, as if it were butter. The first bite had my taste buds going wild. The portion was just right and left room for my other dishes. I soon knew why there had been so many positive reviews of this steakhouse. I have never had a steak so well prepared and cooked. I have heard before that a good steak would never require any kind of sauce to boost its flavor. Such was the case with the steak I enjoyed at Ruth’s Chris. The meat was so full of flavor that I would not have even wanted a sauce to go with it. Before long, I had devoured the entire steak. Now when I go out for steak at another restaurant, I find that it does not even compare to what I had at Ruth’s Chris. It is not that Ruth’s Chris ruined steak for me at other restaurants, but that every time I do go out for steak now, I am reminded of what I was able to enjoy at this special steakhouse.


"Broiled Tomatoes." Photograph from ruthschris.com. http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Salads-and-Sides (Accessed September 3, 2009)

The side dishes were amazing as well. They were fresh and of the highest quality ingredients. The seasoned broiled tomatoes were slightly burnt around the edges and were very juicy. I was also surprised at how little they tasted like tomatoes. They were slightly sweet with only a hint of tomato flavor, which was surprising to me since they were tomatoes themselves. They tasted like an entirely new vegetable. The mashed potatoes did not take me by surprise like my other dishes had, but were delightful nonetheless. The sides were a nice complement to the succulent steak filet.

"Creme Brulée". Photograph from ruthschris.com. http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Dessert (Accessed September 3, 2009)

For dessert, I ordered a creme brulée that was topped with fresh fruit and mint leaves. The egg custard was smooth and sweet and was topped with cinnamon. In addition, a hard sugar coating on top of the egg custard completed the dessert. It was the perfect end to a magnificent meal. Well, perfect until the check arrived, but the dinner was well worth the price.

There is nothing quite like watching a fireworks show on the beach at night. It was perhaps one of the most relaxing, carefree moments of my life. I have not had the chance to return to a Ruth’s Chris steakhouse, but will revisit the restaurant in a heartbeat if I am ever presented the opportunity to go. Rarely does food have such a profound impact and leave me with a lasting impression as did the food at Ruth’s Chris did. As I sat on a beach chair in the sand with my family that night, with a gentle sea breeze fanning my exhausted body, I could be nothing but completely content after such a savory meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment