Friday, September 25, 2009

The good and the bad of the sweet treat we call chocolate

This past week has been packed with the most stress so far; from having to finish webassign for chemistry to trying to get through the calculus homework. But the highlight of my week has to be having to study for my first chemistry test, which my teacher sarcastically said it was going to be very hard. My test was wednesday at 6 o'clock and my last class ended at 3 o'clock, so i had about 3 hours to just relax and clear my mind, but that did not happen. Everywhere i looked i saw people with their chemistry books studying with pride, the nerves starting kicking in. Before i knew it, it was 5:30, time to head to the testing room. I felt my mind was going blank as I made my way to the dreaded testing room. However when i got there i looked back and there it was, the one thing that could calm my nerves: chocolate. I bought a snickers bar from the vending machine and savored every bite. I loved its delightful and crunchy feel and creamy and sweet flavor. I felt at peace, the nerves were gone and I felt confident. Chocolate had won the war; I ended up acing the test.
However, chocolate had its downside for me for a couple years. Believe it not i used to be allergic to it when I was younger. My mom would probihit me from savoring its magical delight. I remember every halloween was a nightmare for her and me. But I just couldn't resist myself when there was a bowl filled with every type of chocolate and everyone else was eating it but me, as a 6 year old, that was just torture. Fortunately, the allergic reaction is very minimal now.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Rita! Allergic to chocolate? That sounds like a horror story! Do you know exactly what ingredient in the chocolate made your body react negatively? You're really lucky your allergy is minimal now. How would we get through GA Tech without the stress reliever that is chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would die if i was allergic to chocolate. Chocolate is amazing. Dark chocolate is really good, and it even has help benefits. I'm glad you are not allergic as much anymore. Which kind of chocolate is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with torture if you can't have chocolate because of an allergy. Being allergic to coconut is not that bad but chocolate, oh dear. >_< A good chunk of desserts and just to-go snacks go down the drain.

    Allergy reaction or not, I think it's worth it (especially if it is minimal) when considering a test. Congrats on acing the chemistry test by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried chocolate as a stress reliever--maybe I'll try it sometime!

    My brother has allergic reactions to chocolate as well--whenever we are at the store buying ice cream, we always have to remember to get something without chocolate. It's amazing how many of the flavors have some variety of it in them--at least a good half!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlike most people, I really can't stand the taste of chocolate. -.-''....
    I don't know why but chocolate just makes me sick to the stomach because it is way too sweet. I can only eat it if it has like wafers in it or something.

    Do you think your allergic reaction might have come from your mom?

    ReplyDelete