Friday, September 4, 2009

Cultural Backgrounds


An ancient Chinese proverb states, “To the ruler, the people are heaven; to the people, food is heaven.” There is no other aspect that is more important to me as food. As a Chinese person, among other Asian cultures, food exists as a significant part of my everyday life, whether it is eating for socializing, eating while playing a sport, or just eating to satisfy my voracious stomach. Chinese people typically bond with one another through meals and is considered a very important part of the day. Food is not only important to me to just satisfy my hunger, but rather it exists as a significant aspect in bonding with my loved ones, and the dinner table lives to help bond family members as they joyously dine upon meals carefully prepared by the loving mother and wife.


Even in the earliest of my memories, I can still see my mother preparing meals for the family every day, how her back looked, and even how much effort she puts into cooking. The pleasing aroma silently drifts and sinks into my nostrils and lights them with ecstasy as she is in amidst of cooking her meals. At times, I even ask for a taste before dinner; to which my mother unfailingly succumbs to my childish desires. There were even times when I wondered if my mother was like this when she was younger, even though the culture here in America is slightly different from Taiwan, where my mother grew up. My mother learned how to cook by working in a restaurant when she lived in Taiwan; specifically, my grandmother’s restaurant. Because of this experience, my mother’s cooking gives me a feeling of nostalgia every time each morsel of food arrives in my mouth by making me think of Taiwan and its extrinsic food.


I visit Taiwan on a yearly basis to see my cousins, and over the past couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what routine a person may possess in a daytime, he/she unfailingly goes out and dines upon victual nourishments at least once. Eating out is just as important as dining with loved ones in the Chinese culture, for it helps close the gap between friendships and allows the relationship between friends to deepen and grow. Food stands are ubiquitous in Taiwan; one can find a locale to eat within walking distance, this subsists evidentially in my case. When I was present in Taiwan, my cousins would always take me out to try edibles that pleasantly tingled my taste buds, and as a person that has lived in America all his life, these new tastes invariably surprises me every time I visit for the summer. For instance, my cousin, Hsiao Kai Long (Ah Long for short), took my mother and I on an outing to sightsee provinces in Taipei, Taiwan. In the process of sightseeing, Ah Long decided to take my mother and I to a food stand that he used to eat at frequently when he was still attending high school. The stand served grilled rice cakes that were marinated in a sauce of one’s choice, and the diversity of the choice of selection of sauces was vast. Ah Long and my mother had the Teriyaki flavor while I had chosen the spicy curry flavored rice cake which exultantly excited my taste buds. Food is also of religious importance to my family and I as well as the people of Taiwan.


Another reason why food is important to me is the fact that it is important for others around me. Every year on the anniversary of my grandfather’s death on my father’s side, my grandmother would always prepare his favorite meals when he was still alive as an offering to his spirit. All the doors in the house would be set open so my grandfather’s spirit would be able to come in freely and eat what his loving wife prepared for him. As soon as that is over, each member of the household would bow down and pray for my grandfather’s blessings and then eat the meal, believing that the meal is blessed and would protect everyone from harm’s way. My grandfather on my mother’s side died no more than a year ago and was cremated and placed beside a Buddha shrine in my grandmother’s house in Taiwan. Since I only visit Taiwan during the summer, I can only pray during this time period rather than pray during his death anniversary. The summer that just finished was the last time I prayed to my grandfather on my mother’s side. The shrine in my grandmother’s home has two idols that one can pray to; one is that of Buddha and the other, my grandfather’s remains. In front of each idol lies a plate filled with fruit as an offering for fortune and happiness. These Buddha shrines are not only within households, but in restaurants as well. Like the ones within households, an offering of fruits is often seen in front of the idol. The Chinese culture believes that having a Buddha shrine in a restaurant will bring in good fortune by bringing in a lot of customers to eat. Buddhism does not only extend to shrines, but rather chopstick mannerism as well. Sticking chopsticks within rice is believed to be an act of raising spirits of the dead. I remember vividly, as a child, whenever I would stick my chopsticks into my rice; my mother would always scold me for trying to bring in tainted spirits. As anyone can see, food subsists as an imminent part in religion, which exists as a huge part of the cultural background of Chinese people.


Food exists as a stepping stone that serves to help me grow physically and mentally. As a person of Chinese descent, I have adapted to the teachings and traditions of the concepts of food within the Chinese culture through my parents, even though I was born in America. Food is the reason why I have bonded so closely with my family members as well as my friends. These concepts of food have fused itself into my everyday life and have continued to help shape and raise my personality to a mature level.


1st picture: My relatives and I at a restaurant in Hong Kong (and my niece! :]]).

2nd picture: My mother and I eating the grilled rice cake (yes, my face was intentional).

3rd picture: Offerings to Buddha shrine.

-image location: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1043/881543194_4e1223d34f.jpg?v=0

No comments:

Post a Comment