Friday, September 25, 2009

The Absence of Food

During my month and a half of eating at the Brittain Dining Hall I have noticed a dissapointing flaw in the management system. The transitions between meals are a disaster. I do not fault them for changing the entre's; in fact I could only imagine how mundane it would be without a variety of throughout the day. The probelm arises when the tranistions between meals take upwards of thirty minutes. A ten or even fifteen minute gap would be completely understanable because they have to switch out all of the items. However, it seems like a product of poor planning to have this large of a time gap. At first, i thought it was simply the result of simply getting back into the kitchen routine, but as a month passed i realized the long delay between meals is unlikely to change.

4 comments:

  1. I have noticed the same thing. Another thing that bothers me is that during lunch time, there is only half as many food options as there are at breakfast and dinner, which just further lessens the sense of these 30+ minute meal transitions. I like the food in Brittain, its just there are not a lot options I like between breakfast and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally. It even seems as if these transitions occur at times when most people want to eat. For example, there is not much food to be found around 11 am. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that no class on campus takes place between the hours of 11 and 12 on Tuesdays and Thursdays? Why then, would Brittain be lacking in food at the prime brunch hour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here. The transition is quite slow. I realized this especially around the 4:00 to 4:30 time in the evening. I usually have a break from 4 to 5 on mondays and fridays. When I reach Brittain, all the previous food which was kept for lunch is gone and the new set of items are all covered up to be unveiled half an hour later. After a tough day at classes I look forward to a decent meal which would be my first of the day. By the time its 4:45 the food comes out and I have 15 minutes to reach Instructional Center for HPS. So I have to do with the few food items still remaining.

    ReplyDelete