Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fingernails in My Salsa!

One of my family's favorite and most frequented restaurants is La Hacienda. Mexican food has typically been our first choice of food whenever we went out, that eventually going to La Hacienda became an every weekend after soccer game event. My family came to know the waiters personally and every time they asked about my games, how they went, and how school was coming. We even came so often that our waiter did not even have to ask my order anymore! The service was top notch, the food fantastic, and in my opinion, the best Mexican restaurant in the Atlanta area. I can assure you that I have to many.
There was this one occasion that stood out to me though. I remember dipping my tortilla chip into the royally red salsa, taking a bite, and feeling a rather tough, hard piece of something. My first instinct was that there was an onion that escaped the quick blade of the knife before it was mixed in with the other salsa ingredients. But as I went to chew what
I thought was an onion chip, I realized that whatever this was was not chewable and it even had a sharp edge. I spit it out into my napkin, and to my disgust saw that someone had lost a bout half a fingernail. My parents called the manager over and we left, getting a full refund. We have been back since then, although we waited a good month before doing so.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...rodent droppings in chocolate, fingernails in salsa...you've been posting a lot on tainted food!

    The FDA does allow rodent hair and insect part contamination in food products up to a certain amount, because it recognizes the impossibility of keeping foods entirely rodent/insect free! For example, They'll allow about 30 insect parts or 1 rodent hair per 100g peanut butter before they start taking action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats what the study was about...nevertheless it is still disgusting. What I read was more about exposing the "behind the scenes" aspects to make people aware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebekah,
    Oddly...I've been to that restaurant! Weird.
    Also, your story reminded me of a time that I was in Cape Cod. We were eating a well-known restaurant up there called The Marsh. I bit on something hard and my mouth started bleeding...turns out, there had been a chunk of glass in my food. I had to go to the ER and to an oral surgeon to get inspected. I don't think I'd eat there again!

    ReplyDelete