Thursday, September 24, 2009

Girl Scout Cookies from Home

When I was in high school, I worked part-time after school and full-time during the summer at a marketing firm. Our President and Founder, Jay Geier, was known to make some extravagant purchases. His most famous was, by far, buying 400 boxes of thin mints from a very lucky girl scout in his neighborhood. 

The 400 boxes of cookies were kept in an office near mine in our building, and they became a huge joke to all of the co-workers. If someone was having a bad day, one of us would secretly open up a box of cookies for the melancholy colleague. 

Much to my surprise, I received a box of girl scout cookies in my mail box today! I had not really missed working (obviously), but my package made me remember good times at the office...our office's tradition of eating Zaxby's every Friday, ordering food for people's birthdays. It made me kind of miss being at the firm...but not too much, because college is a lot more fun than work!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIN MINTS.
    my mom usually freezes them which makes them even more delicious.
    I try to only eat them once a week when they are around the house, because one serving for me usually consists of 15-20 cookies.
    It's a bad habit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is a Girl Scout so my family always buys an absurd amount of cookies. My personal favorite is Tagalongs - the regular cookie with peanut butter and covered in chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I loved thin mints more than I should, but your boss really has out done me for top thin mint fandom. That girl scout must have been extremely happy to be able to sell that many boxes in one go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thin mints are the best Girl Scout Cookies by far! I do not eat any other kind! They are the perfect blend of smooth chocolate and fresh mint taste! I can't believe your boss bought so many boxes! What a worthwhile investment for a gloomy day!
    The large number of boxes your boss bought reminds me of the Dairy Queen commercial when their signature "lips" ordered two million boxes. And that was the birth of the Dairy Queen Thin Mint Blizzard! It's happiness you can taste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always amazing how Girl Scout cookies disappear. I never plan on eating so many, but they just melt in your mouth, and before long, the box is empty. It's the perfect indulgence...as long as there aren't 400 boxes for you to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a girl scout for 6 years, and we were sort of required to sell a certain number of boxes each year. I wish I'd met your boss back then- it would have taken a load of stress off of my mind to sell 400 boxes that easily!

    Samoas are my favorite. Although I'm not a huge fan of coconut, this cookie is hard to dislike. The decadent Tagalongs are a close second.

    ReplyDelete