Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Martha Stewart's Magic

Sitting within the four walls of our classrooms is not very much a fun thing to think about. My English assignment was an opportunity for me to go out and explore several other areas, which I would have never looked into if I wasn't assigned to do. Who will think of going to a library or any store and picking up a cookery book to glance upon instead of the fun filled comics. Till date I had an impression that cooking was a mother’s job and no child’s play. But flipping through the pages of the cookbooks at Barnes and Nobles, I got to discover that we too are major audiences who are looked upon. I specifically like to eat cakes and this choice of mine drove me to look into the cookbook named "Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes". I did not know what was awaiting me but indeed the cover of the book was so eye-catching that it had already grown into me some fondness to flip through the book and get a glimpse of it. Glancing through the book one could only say that it did not cater to one type of specific audience but, to all. The contents of the book catered all of them, attractive and colorful images of the cakes and an easy guide as to how these cupcakes could be made. The wonderful part of this book was that it had a perfect blend to cater cupcakes for everyone, every season and every event. As per my opinion the book’s content in all were very effective as it focused and considered in mind all age groups.

It’s sort of a coincidence that both the cookbooks I picked up were of the same author named Martha Stewart. The first book was amazingly well written and attracted the eyes of everyone. I hoped to read this one having liked the first cookbook wishing that she would keep up the good work putting forth her incredible work in front of the huge audience. The second cookbook which I reviewed was “Martha Stewart’s Cooking School: Lessons for the Home Co”. This book contrary to the one I reviewed before focused on the new chefs as its prime audience. This book too had colored and attractive images, which kept one, engrossed in this book. The book holds amazing recipes. I can say this, as one may know I am not a chef and don’t plan to be one too but yet the book kept me spell bound until I had glanced through almost the entire book. The cookbook also presented forth its authority by engrossing the reader throughout. I would also like to comment on the organization of the books contents as it was very well presented. The cookbook also had a picture catalog for each of its recipes guiding one step by step. On the whole both the cookbooks were well written and compiled with great images and easy to follow steps.

2 comments:

  1. I'd say such a cookbook would be a solid example to refer to when working on the final project. Since you liked the target audience of the book, perhaps it should be mimicked. Or, at least, it makes you ask questions: how should I establish ethos in my book, who should my target audience be, and how should I arrange the book to be most beneficial to that audience. Personally I'm a fan of easy to follow steps with pictures throughout the process. I like to think the horrible glob I created wasn't too far off from what the recipes wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting my views forward I too was amazed at the way the cookbook had put up its recipes. As one would know that pictures do make reading more interesting and gives us a visual charm. I think as it really grabbed the attention of the reader it can be used as one of our final projects. I totally agree with Josh Dunn.

    ReplyDelete