Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cookbook Adventure

Although my mom never cooked very much, we have a plethora of cookbooks in our kitchen from showers, birthdays, etc. I had not actually looked through these cookbooks since I was roughly six years old, so it was an interesting experience for me. We had cookbooks about pies, cakes, dinner, soups, everything imaginable! The two I chose to write about are Desperation Dinners and The Joy of Cooking.

The first cookbook I perused was Desperation Dinners, written for working moms who need to cook quick and tasty meals. My mom has been cooking out of this cookbook for years; she bought it before even reading it because the title was so eye-catching. It includes meals that can be cooked in twenty minutes flat- a necessity for the working mother. It is a quite thick book with tons of recipes- 250 to be exact, extra suggestions, stories, and backgrounds. It was actually pretty interesting when I took the time to look at it. The authors are both likable and qualified writers and cooks; with four children between them, they are busy and know how to cook a quick, easy, and nutritious meal. It appeals to busy moms and beginner cooks by providing easy tips and basic instructions that are easy to follow.

The second cookbook was The Joy of Cooking, written by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker. This cookbook has been at our house since my parents got married, and was actually a gift from my grandmother's kitchen. It was published in 1931 and can be found in virtually every kitchen in our family. Although it explains every detail of what is being cooked, it is hard to read to not very exciting. The print is small, there are no pictures, and while it is easy to follow, it is hard to stay focused. The target audience is for for old and new cooks alike, because it has a variety of recipes and degrees of difficulty. It is Julia Child's favorite English cookbook, but is certainly not mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment