Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Brittain > Woodruff

It’s been five weeks at Georgia Tech and to my surprise I have still not gotten tired of the food. Even before classes started there were claims rather rumours that Brittain dining hall serves bad food. After my first meal at Brittain, I found those rumours to be harsh. I have to agree that my high school did not serve great food so maybe I am finding this food rather fulfilling. But some of us have to agree that Brittain is pretty decent. There was a lot of hype about the dining hall on West Campus – Woodruff . I decided to visit Woodruff one night and found the food same and perhaps worse than Brittain. The only advantage Woodruff has over Brittain is the internal structure and architecture. When you enter Woodruff the view is overwhelming and it looks far more sophisticated than Brittain but when it comes to food, I have to take Brittain’s side. Brittain is the perfect place to have a good meal. Most importantly it is more helpful as far as freshmen are concerned because the food is accessible very easily. At woodruff the dining options are a bit complicated and many of the food has to be made or assorted into a dish. At Brittain most of the food is prepared and kept while the custom grill and the middle section offer special food that have to be made such as omlettes and pasta. Another aspect of Brittain is that it is much cleaner than Woodruff. At Woodruff I had to search for a suitable place to sit and enjoy my dinner. I also feel Woodruff has an ineffective arrangement of tables and chairs. Woodruff has an edge when it comes to facilities and decoration but overall Brittain is a better place to have food. Not only is the atmosphere better but also the actual food.

Maybe I am being overly critical about Woodruff but that’s what caught my attention the first time and as we know, first impression is extremely important. I am also influenced by the hype surrounding Woodruff and the negative comments about Brittain. If I had an option of switching over to West campus next year I would certainly not oblige.

The only point that cannot be differentiated between the two dining halls is the staff. They are extremely hard working and serve both dining halls well. This blog has an inclination towards Brittain and I know that many people would object to this topic but that’s only my view and I hope more people understand my point.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that Brittain doesn't actually serve bad food, but I can not go as far as to say that Woodruff's food is worse than Brittain's. I have discovered the quality of food available is largely dependent on the hour you choose to go eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with that. I must admit that the first time I went to Woodruff was at 9:30 pm which is not the best time. But I am not talking only about the food. There is also the matter of accessability, arrangements and cleanliness. In these respects I think Brittain has an edge but I wouldn't mind if people have different opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a vegetarian this week, I have been searching for more options in the dining halls and on campus in general. Although Brittain may be cleaner than Woodruff,I am CONVINCED that Woodruff has a wider variety of options. I went to dinner there last night and was able to find options from rice to soup to sandwiches which were perfect for any vegetarian meal. I will always defend the quality of Brittain's food because that is something it has in common with Woodruff. When it comes to the variety of options for someone who has a unusual diet, there's no comparison. Woodruff always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to say I share your sentiments for Brittain's food, I have yet to tire of it. Whenever I go there, there always are at least a few different really good foods, so there is something different to try if I have tired of, say, making a sandwich every time I eat there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first got to Tech my PL told me "Woody's has better food, but I'd rather eat it at Brittain", and I've found that to be pretty true. I've eaten at Woody's several times, and the food has almost always been better. However, the staff at Brittain seems to be very friendly and I like the atmosphere of Brittain over that of Woody's (e.g. the long tables at Brittain vs. the restaurant style four-person tables at Woody's).

    Sayan, I think the problem may have been that you went a half hour before they closed. But I've never been there late, so I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive eaten at both Brittain and Woodies. I never noticed a large difference in the food. Woodies does have more open space. When I first went into Brittain and stood in that small room looking at all the food, I couldn't help but think (about the size and options) "This is it?". Perhaps my expectations preceded me. I have never been to east dining during busy hours, so I can't confirm what several friends tell me about crowding over there. I've been to Woodies during crowded times, but I've never had to stand in line for more than a minute or two.

    ReplyDelete