Wednesday, September 30, 2009

¡Las Palmeras son muy sabrosas!


This Cuban restaurant located on 5th street on the outskirts of Tech has the most amazing Cuban food I have ever tasted. I came here one day with my sister, Vicky, about a week ago because I haven't seen her for a couple of months. Vicky lives in Florida, but she came during the GT Career Fair because she was part of the GT Alumni. Anyways, we decided to eat at Las Palmeras because Vicky loves eating Cuban food and she has heard great stuff about this restaurant apparently. The restaurant is rather small and is extremely easy to miss so one has to keep an eye out for it. When we walked in we were automatically given a seat with the waiter telling us the special of the day. After ordering our drinks and meals, the waiter came back automatically with a plate of garlic bread (which was amazing btw) and our drinks. As I was there sitting and eating the garlic bread, I suddenly noticed my surroundings and I just have to say that it is a very relaxing environment with very nice people. I actually would not mind coming back everyday. After waiting for a bit, our meals came, I ordered the Classic Custom Cuban sandwich and my sister ordered Pollo Fritto (roasted chicken)with some maduros(sweet plantains) on the side. The Cuban sandwich can be made with mild sauce or the hot sauce; since I love spicy food, I picked the hot sauce and boy was I in for a treat! The hot sauce had such an invigorating flavor to it, but it made me drink a whole cup of water for every three bites. Eventually, the waiter just placed the water pitcher on the table, to which I started laughing. The pollo was simply fantastic, all the roasted chicken that I ever had was always dry on the inside; however, Las Palmeras' chicken was moist and flavorful on the inside with a soft crunch on the outside. The platains were delicious, they were fried with nice, sweet, taste to it (and it definitely did not help with the spicyness of the sandwich). By the time we finished all the food, we were extremely full, but then the waiter asks if we wanted any dessert, how could we resist? We ordered the arroz con leche or the rice with milk. This delectable treat contains rice with milk (obviously), and is very sweet with a hint of cinnamon. We left the restaurant with a gleaming face even though it was dark and gloomy outside (it was raining). I highly recommend this Cuban restaurant, and I promise it won't be disappointing!

image from http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/JnoKWiaiV4xNAAsvjHGhgg?select=BEoyPVGgNPG4n69KY4BEDQ

No comments:

Post a Comment