Sunday, August 30, 2009

My favorite dessert


I just returned from having dinner at Brittain, and I do have to agree that the food has more than its fair share of grease, but on the walk back I was thinking about the food I used to savor in Peru. My grandma loves to cook. She used to enjoy watching me eat her food until I just couldn’t take another bite. But my favorite food, or shall I say dessert, was mazamorra morada (purple pudding). It’s a jelly-like dessert with the main ingredient being purple maize, and its serve with a slight layer of powdered cinnamon. Both the smell and the taste are mouth-watering. But the best part of it is that it brings back memories of a special time when my grandma cooked it for me. I was about seven and it was first time crossing the street by myself, without having to hold anybody’s hand. My mom had sent me on the mission of getting my uncles from the small store across the street. I must have been too excited, because as I was running across the street, I fell and scraped my knee, to this day I have the scar of that incident. My uncle had to carry me back crying to the house. My grandma was there and to make it all better she made mazamorra morada for me. The pain seemed to slip away as I devoured it.


Picture: southamericanfood.about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment