Sunday, August 23, 2009

Brittain dining hall experience


I noticed how most blog entries have been relevant to the G5 Foodies articles; I want to give a perspective on another food source that I'm sure you all east campus roomies are familiar with, Brittain.


                Georgia Tech is pushing the “green” lifestyle on campus in hopes to improve the environment.  This is great and all, but if we don't go green for ourselves and improve our physical state then what good is the environment?  We won't be healthy enough to enjoy it to its fullest potential!  My first breakfast experience at Brittain was not green; at all.  I had a personal experience with the health issues of a sausage that turned me against a popular food line called The Grill.  I sat down amongst newly found friends and decided to perform an experiment.  I cut off one bite of sausage and squashed it between a napkin; the grease drenched a total of 4 napkins, for one normal sized bite of the sausage!
                The amount of grease from that single bite of sausage was more than enough needed to cook a pack of sausages on a flat top grill.  I have since then made it a personal choice not to eat from the The Grill or dine on any foods prepared on a grill from Brittain.  I now have found healthier alternatives such as an Apple in the morning before class, which further research has shown that it will give you an energy and focus boost without any crash.  I recommend you all to try this as well as comment about your own personal experiences from the Brittain dining hall.

Giovanni Mannella

6 comments:

  1. I have not yet been to Brittain dining hall, as I live on west campus and am not interested in that far of a walk. However, I can honestly say that you might want to invest in a walk to Woodruff. The food, although does not compare to homecooked meals, is a very good substitute. There is a great variety and I do not feel as if I had jus eaten a greasy MacDonalds hamburger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live on East Campus, but have a Tuesday/Thursday class on West, so I've had the opportunity to try both Woody's and Brittain.

    I can say that Woody's tastest better, but I doubt it's any healthier. Granted, I've only had two lunches there, so I haven't tried everything, nor have I had breakfast or dinner. The pizza, grilled burgers, and fries were equally greasy. They also had hot dogs with chilli and cheese that looked like a heart attack waiting to happen that I didn't even try.

    So, in short, I would say that Woody's is better, but not healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to Britain because I live on West campus but I have heard a lot of negative things about Britain. I would love for you to come try Woodys. Yes, it probably is greasy and unhealthy but the food is way better and is very appetizing. Hopefully you can change your mind about Georgia Tech's dining halls after eating at Woodys. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erin, I think you mean "Brittain" not "Britain"...Britain does have greasy and bad food, but it's definitely not located on Georgia Tech, or even in North America for that matter!

    I thought the term "green" applied only to environmentally-sound things. It seems like you're stretching the term way too much to apply it to healthy things too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Brittain may not serve the heathiest choices for its georgia tech students, but it does have one thing going for it: waffle makers. I happened to be in a not-so-pleasant mood last night, and going to th dining hall made myday even worse, because nothng looked remotely appetizing. But then! I see that the infamous waffle makers are available at all times! So i enjoyed TWO fabulous waffle drenched in butter and dripping with sticky syrup (they even have different kinds!) for dinner. Just the comfort food i needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having tried both the dining halls, Britain as well as Woodruff, I guess Woodruff is far better off than Britain. I can say this as it gives one a huge variety to feed upon. Being a vegetarian itself brings one, a lot of tough times, but having Woodruff close by has made my life easier. This is because there is always something to feed upon such as vegetarian/cheese pizzas, subs, pasta and many days it has Indian food too. Having been to Britain too, it never gave me such satisfaction, thus my views are that Woodruff popularly known as "Woodies" is better than Britain.

    ReplyDelete