Thursday, August 27, 2009

Brittain's Folly

Tonight dinner in the Brittain dinning hall was a little different that usual. The same food unfortunately, but nevertheless, the cooking style in Brittain was not the same. It definitely wasn't a change for good.

For some odd reason, the hamburgers that are usually readily available in the dinning hall moved from the greasy, electric grill that makes me think of short order diners to charcoal and propane fueled grills lining the narrow corridor leading into the dining hall from the quad between Glenn and Towers. Don't get me wrong, grilling out is sacred to me. Some of my fondest memories come from standing over the hot flames, but the cooks at Brittain seemed not to know something that I learned long ago: The people you are cooking for don't want to smell the smoke, so keep it away from them.

The smoke that was coming from the grills was channeled down the occupied corridor and directly through the open doors of Brittain, irritating every occupant of the dinning hall from the diners to the staff. The smoke could not be escaped. Lets just say this is one of the less memorable and pleasant experiences in Brittain.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...was there something wrong with the ventilation?

    From what everyone has been saying about the Brittain dining hall, I gather that I should stay away from it!

    (Oh...also, I think you mean "dining", not "dinning"...this misspelling has become a particular pet peeve of mine since I've started looking for cheap, used dining chairs from the Craigslist website: (http://craigslist.org).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I didn't think there was another downside to the Brittain dining hall. I already try avoid walking near the Brittain at night (there is usually a very nauseating smell that seems concentrated from there) and to think even the daytime too?
    If there is one bright side to Brittain, I am beginning to wonder what it is... The Buzz-to-go or whatever it's called?

    ReplyDelete