Sunday, August 23, 2009

Gluten-Free Girl/Belachan

The first blog I read was "Gluten-Free Girl". The title itself was acted as a hook, as it made me curious as to the topic of someone actually living a gluten-free lifestyle. My sister was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. She is still, six months later, struggling with food choices and has lost alot of weight because of this new diet; thus this topic had a very personal effect on me. So, for me, I found this blog very interesting with all the foods and that can be prepared. The author did a wonderful job with providing exquisite pictures and descriptions, that I forgot at some points throughout my reading that this woman was actually restricted in her diet. The blog itself was an easy read because of the pictures and white spaces, but to me it was fascinating. Diseases and medical conditions intrigue me, especillay ones that I can relate with. The author's satisfactory attitude throughout was so encouraging to me that I actually called my sister and told her to read it after I was done. The positivity and wondrous pictures of all that was possible with the gluten-free diet, was very persuasive that this was not depriving at all.
I honestly did not even try the linked sites until my sister called me back about the site. We explored them together and this way we found so many more links to gluten-free foods. We both got very excited and hope to try them soon.

The second blog I read was "Belachan". This article was very unique, as it seemed like the author was writing in a diary. This personal touch was like a breath of fresh air. When in highschool, and in college I presume, it is common to read the in depth, complex, themed novels. This piece was laid back and very casual. It was calming and peaceful to read and even interesting in learning about someone's favorite foods and why they enjoy them so much. Personally, I enjoy reading other people's opinions on various topics because it allows for discussion and comments on why someone feels the way they do. This blog was simple and to the point. Although it was not the most fancy and probably not the most credible, I found it very attractive with its easy read and delicious pictures, and homey tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment