Monday, August 24, 2009

appetite for china & davidlebovitz

appetite for china http://appetiteforchina.com/

The first article that I read was the "appetite for china." This instantly appealed to me because well, I'm Chinese, and I really miss my mother's cooking ( :[[[ ). The first thing I saw that was really interesting was the headline "1.3 billion must be eating something right." The article also doesn't seem to only portray dishes from China, but rather from other countries as well, such as Vietnam; though I am really surprised that the author didn't post up Pho as one of the food items. I liked the article because the author had stories behind each dish, but the story was short, sweet, and to the point. The site is easy to navigate: the links on the right side takes the reader directly to the subject, and the layout of the web page is really appealing to the reader and will always keep him/her interested. The author has had many experiences with food ever since she was a child, for her parents worked in restaurants. Due to that influence, she ended up writing for many food and travel such as "The Boston Globe, Food & Wine, US Airways, TimeOut New York, and World Hum, among other publications" as well as featuring in many television programs: CBS Early Show, KGW, BBC Good Food, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Blogher, and Serious Eats. The author also teaches a cooking class in Beijing.

All this talk of Chinese food reminded me of the time when I was in Taiwan this past summer and just pigging out with my cousin.
Funnn times :]]






davidlebovitz http://www.davidlebovitz.com/

The headline of the article was really interesting and it caught my eye: "living the sweet life in Paris." After seeing the headline, I thought to myself, "Awesome! I've always wondered what people from France eats!" As I went down, the food didn't not seem to appeal to me, for instance, "Warm-Baked Goat Cheese." That kind of overturned my stomach; however, as I got closer to the bottom, the author started getting into the desserts, which was quite appealing to me. Especially since I saw earlier that the author had written at least three books, one was about food in Paris, the other was a book of desserts with a picture of ice cream on it, and the last one was a book about chocolate. The books about desserts were legit, for Lebovitz was even named “Top Five Pastry Chefs in the Bay Area.” Other than the food, the site is really easy to navigate, it reminded me of the layout for the "appetite for china" article. Both articles had links on the top of the page that had his recipes, his autobiography, and even his books. Both authors have a really nice background which helps them attract more people to their blog or website.

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to be more impartial in critiquing these food blogs! You seem to be quite swayed by your pre-existing likes and dislikes (e.g. alcohol; goat-cheese)!

    Then again, here's an interesting question to ponder: Can such personal bias ever truly be overcome when considering an artifact's aesthetic appeal?

    Nice pic.

    ReplyDelete