Thursday, December 3, 2009

No Thanks, Freshman 15!

As you all know, I interviewed the Georgia Tech nutritionist as part of our cookbookette. Before you have an appointment with her, you have to write down everything you eat for the three days prior to the meeting.
When I met her, we went over my food journal together and I discovered that I had way too many starches in my diet and not enough colors!
Why is Erin bringing this up, you might ask. Today I went to Juniors for lunch and I got a very tasty cheesburger basket. These baskets come with fries. The cheeseburger was very filling and as I started to eat the fries, I started to feel a little sick. I thought about their lack of nutritional value and the probable amount of grease that went into making them. In the end, I decided to throw them away.
I have learned a lot about nutrition and food in general over the course of this semester. From this point on, I hope I'll be making healthier choices when it comes to what I eat!

7 comments:

  1. I truly agree with you Erin we should all switch to a much healthier diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was sort of dramatic, wasn't it! Realizing the futility of eating that burger just when you're about to bite into it. Kind of like a movie. Now you turn your life around because of that split-second decision.

    I would probably have just said "to hell with nutritionists" when that juicy, tasty thing was in front of me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, the nutritionist was great. It added so much to our presentation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being healthy is good, but don't get too focused on the individual nutrients. Its the food as a whole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice self-control, Erin! I've definitely started to gain the freshman 15...oopsies. But you made a lot of great points in your presentation, especially about adding color to your plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before coming to Tech I was ignorant about eating healthy food. Due to my health class and Michael Pollan's 'In Defense of Food' I have had much to think about over the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first time I went to Junior's I went in with a high expectation that the place frankly just didn't meet. I guess it's famous more so for the atmosphere and tradition than the food itself.

    ReplyDelete